4/29/09

Pragmatics Sample

So, anyone doing a pragmatics sample know how to do number two, function of language sample? I remember talking about Halliday in class, but I don't know how we are supposed to incorporate him into our sample. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as usual!

Thanks guys!
SED Love!
Mackenzie Whalen

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous29/4/09 16:45

    As far a I understand we just have to write about each pragmatic function.
    On the pragmatic checklist there is a list of "pragmatic functions in child language" that is numbered 1-6 with each type of pragmatics with the meaning and an example. For each one you need to write a couple sentences about that skill according to the child's language with examples from your sample. There should be a copy of this on blackboard and she handed it out in class.

    Hopefully that helps some how.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous29/4/09 20:55

    Ok, I've done all of that! That makes me feel better that at least you and I are on the same page! Thanks, Molly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly right!

    1-3 sentences under each skill stating how/if the child is able to complete the function/skill. What is the child's competency level with that function?

    The completed chart - with 100 utterances filled in it gives you a visual representation of what the child can do in a conversation. You look at that and it will basically tell you want FUNCTIONS the child has or doesn't have.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.